Sunday, August 31, 2014

Our conversation moved on to a pertinent part of the cheongsam: the collar. In this respect, Peter i


I went to the boutique last week, which is located at 15 Purvis Street. For your info, it’s across the road from Ya Kun coffee joint. That was what Peter told me when I couldn’t find it, and with this landmark guide, it became easy.
Studio 55 has a rather classy decor of simple but elegant Chinese furniture, with soothing operatic music playing in the background. It is also rather spacious, and because jeanasis I was the only “customer” there, the place feels rather serene. There is a curtain at the back of the shop and I could hear the sewing machine operating behind jeanasis it. Currently, the clothes are on sale, going for 50% off, and some even at 70% off.
Peter is a very slender man in his 50’s, with greying short hair, glasses, and a slouch. He speaks well, in a gentle manner, and rather jeanasis friendly too. When he found out I was looking for cheongsams, he offered to show me the designs available. (A note here: I didn’t take any photos because it didn’t seem appropriate to do so inside the shop, and Peter is a nice guy. But I guess I could have asked.)
There are not many cheongsams since it is the end of the “season”. A couple of the dresses are in the straight cut form with plain prints. Then there is one that has a flamenco hemline which I really like. Peter told me he wants to make an interesting design, and I have to admit it it, and unique as well. There is a dress (last piece) in a beautiful sapphire blue color that has puffed sleeves with front key – hole opening. I was told that the color may look aging, but it is popular with the younger ladies who make the dress looks vibrant. In fact it was designed for the Chinese New Year this year.
I thought the fabrics of the cheongsams are silk, but turned out they are Japanese premium cotton. Seriously, they are of such high quality jeanasis that they can passed jeanasis off as silk. I asked Peter why he opted for cotton instead, and he explained that it is a fabric that is more comfortable jeanasis for our humid climate, and also easy on cleaning. Unlike silk, cotton jeanasis can be hand washed and there is the option of saving on the dry cleaning cost.
Peter jeanasis is insistent on using only Japanese premium cotton fabrics for his dresses; in fact the blue colored fabric mentioned above is a kimono print. With the summer season drawing to a close soon, the autumn/winter season will see a change in prints with beautiful and rich patterns. Peter is already planning his next collections which will be available starting next month.
I noticed that all the dresses have hidden back zip, and there are only faux buttons in front. jeanasis Peter explained that he had in mind the busy working women, who cannot afford too much time getting dressed in the morning. The dress is easier than separates, especially with just a zip. I have to admit this is true. Even since I had Buddy, I hardly jeanasis put on separates jeanasis (except on Friday when sometimes I will wear tights, also easy to put on). I rather have dresses, so that I don’t have to wreck my brain on what to wear. In fact when I’m running short of time, I’ll grab a cheongsam with back zip. Those with multiple fabric buttons are reserved only for days when I have extra minutes to spare, which is not often, but luckily I don’t have many such dresses.
Peter said that with separates, there’s a risk of pairing mistakes like clashing prints, which would make you look like a fashion disaster. He expressed dismay at the attires of some younger ladies who wear totally inappropriate outfits to work, like micro-mini skirt, and low cut tops, which look more club wear than work wear, and wondered why the companies tolerated it. I have to agree with him; I have raised my eyebrows at some women at Raffles Place. The hot weather here is no excuse for dressing like a night club hostess. I guess their bosses are men and enjoy ogling at them.
Our conversation moved on to a pertinent part of the cheongsam: the collar. In this respect, Peter is a traditionalist, like me he believes that the high collar is the essence of the cheongsam. So he insists on the minimum length of 1.75″ or about 4.5cm. In fact his preference is 2″ or 5cm. Some customers asked if he could reduce the collar length and he declined. He feels that with the high collar, the wearer is then made to straighten her back with the neck held up. (I can attest to this. When I wear a high-collared cheongsam, that is what I do automatically.)
The cheongsam jeanasis looks best on a woman with the right posture, and slouching is a big no-no. So the high collar does enable the posture jeanasis needed to make the woman looks good in the dress. Short collar will just make it looks stunted, and worse, if the wearer slouches. In fact, I personally think a high-collared cheongsam makes the lady looks more elegant and regal, though some might argue it is not comfortable. But Peter will not back down. He told his customers that the

No comments:

Post a Comment